Why Are Psychological Factors So Important In Wrestling?

Picture Of Why Are Psychological Factors So Important In WrestlingIn the last two decades, sport psychology has rapidly grown to become more popular. However, revelations from recent research say that many coaches, athletes, and sports administrators still find it reluctant to welcome the need for mental preparedness before a competitive contest.

The cause of their reluctance is said to be the lack of understanding of the process, how important it is, and how it translates to victory. We may want to then ask, why are psychological factors so important in wrestling? Read on to find why.

So, why are psychological factors so important in wrestling? Researchers found that talent contributes only about 20% to an athlete’s success. The other 80% is determined by the athlete’s mental position.

What You Should Know About Wrestling?

Wrestling is highly competitive and research has shown that the athlete with most psychological push, attitude, and mental balance has a better chance of winning. This is where the phrase “Talent is not enough” comes to play.

Usually, coaches and athletes focus more on the physical build and health of the athlete than on the mental position of the athlete. It has always been believed that the physical fitness of an athlete is all that matters, especially in a physical sport like wrestling. However, recent revelations have shown that this is not entirely true.

As much as the physical fitness of an athlete is important, so is the mental health of the athlete. This, therefore, points us to the importance of sports psychology in the world of today. Let’s examine some of the importance of sport psychology in today’s sport.

What Is The Importance Of Psychology In Sport?

A sport psychologist is an integral part of the coaching and athlete’s health care team. A sport psychologist will teach the athlete skills that are needed to enhance their performance.

Skills needed by athletes in today’s world of sport include; motors skills, how to cope with competitive pressure, how to fine-tune the level of awareness for optimal performance, and how to stay focus despite several distractions. These skills can only be taught to the athletes by a sport psychologist.

What Are The Motivational Techniques Coaches’ Uses On Athletes?

  1. Goal setting: in order to leap forward and truly do great in their chosen sports, sportspersons need to set goals that are SMAT. SMAT refers to goals that are Specific, Measurable, difficult but Attainable, and Time-bound. Coaches, therefore, encourage their athletes to systematically plan ways by which they are to achieve certain accomplishments within a certain amount of time. This is referred to as goal setting.
  2. Imagery: sportspersons use the power of imagery to create a simulation of events in their minds. The detailed the imagery, the more the brain will likely interpret and relate it to the actual event. A good image can, therefore, have a great impact on the performance of the athlete.
  3. Pre-performance routine: there are routine that a sportsperson goes through to prepare them for the real event. This includes warm-up routine, pregame routine, and other actions the athlete will regularly do to physically, mentally, and even emotionally get ready.
  4. Self-talk: athletes and performers are fond of thinking and saying certain words to themselves, often in the mind, before the major event. This is the method used to direct their focus to a particular thing and to facilitate effectiveness.
  5. Using extrinsic rewards: usually, coaches use an extrinsic reward as a means of motivation for the athletes. This reward is used to reinforce the athlete’s sense of assurance. Examples of such include “man of the match”, “athlete of the tour” etc.
  6. Motivational Music: music is a good way to motivate and many athletes use this to set the mood emotionally and mentally in preparation for the event.

These are a few ideas on how coaches can motivate their athletes using the power of sports psychology. You can check online for other strategies. You may find the idea that will serve as The Wow Style for you and for your athletes.

About the Author